Labor Day is just about upon us, so many people here in the Houston area are busy getting ready for the upcoming holiday weekend. This includes making travel preparations. For many, Labor Day weekend involves a fair amount of driving. So, the roads can be packed.
This can create frustrations for travelers. It can also raise special safety risks. Few things can derail a fun holiday weekend faster than a traffic accident. Such crashes can also have significant long-term impacts for victims.
So, among the things individuals may want to do as they are getting ready for this weekend is make some preparations related to protecting their safety out on the roads. As the Texas Department of Public Safety recently noted, there are various steps drivers can take to try to keep holiday travels safe.
Examples of such preparations include:
- Making sure your vehicle is in proper mechanical condition
- Properly securing any cargo that you will be bringing along on your trip
- Carefully deciding when to travel, making sure to build in extra time to get to your destination and keep in mind when the roads might be especially busy
- Researching your route, keeping an eye out for construction and other things that could have traffic and safety impacts
- Keeping an eye on the forecasted weather conditions for your travel days, so you know what to expect out on the roads
- Making sure to get proper rest leading up to your trip, in order to help prevent drowsy driving
People planning to drive over the weekend also may want to review safe driving tips as they get ready for their trip. Such tips include:
- Keep your speed appropriate for conditions
- Be attentive and alert behind the wheel
- Drive sober
- Avoid distractions
- Drive defensively
- Use your seat belt
We wish everyone here in the Houston area safe travels this Labor Day weekend.