When to Get an Attorney for a Car Accident
If you have recently gotten into an auto accident, you may have wondered when to get an attorney for a car accident or if you even need a lawyer for a car accident.
Situations like these can be stressful, and it’s easy to start throwing blame around: “That was my fault” or “That wasn’t my fault.” Having someone like an experienced attorney in your corner to help you navigate the situation can be beneficial when filing car accident claims.
If you need an auto accident attorney in Houston to help walk you through the process and fight to get you the best outcome possible, contact Grimes & Fertitta at 713-224-7644.
When should I hire an attorney after a car accident?
You may need a lawyer for a car accident if, as a result of the accident, any of the following occur:
- You have suffered injuries (severe or not)
- There is damage to your vehicle
- It’s possible that someone else’s actions caused the accident
- You’ve been offered a settlement by the other driver’s insurance
- A loved one died as a result of the accident
If any of these scenarios are present, call an attorney as soon as possible. After you have taken the steps to properly document the accident scene, contact an attorney you can trust and describe the situation. When you’re ready, you and your attorney can begin discussing if you’d like to file a claim.
When is it too late to get a lawyer for a car accident?
In general, it’s best to hire a car accident attorney as soon as possible after your accident. That said, the Texas statute of limitations — the deadline for when you can file a claim — for car accidents is two years. Once the statute of limitations has passed, you will no longer be able to file a claim or collect damages.
By hiring a car accident attorney as soon as possible, you decrease your risk of missing the deadline to file a claim and get the compensation that you and your family need.
Is it worth getting an attorney for a car accident?
In a word, yes. As we discuss in our article regarding what to do when you get in a car accident, an attorney can help you identify your next steps in the legal process. If you are involved in a car accident that involves the negligence of another party, having a trustworthy legal advisor by your side can be invaluable.
An experienced car accident attorney can:
- Investigate your claim and gather evidence that may otherwise be destroyed or lost
- Help you navigate legal issues and the claims process with more ease, so that you can focus on recovery
- Help you speak with insurance providers and third parties who are likely more experienced than you at negotiating claims
- Keep you informed about and ahead of deadlines
- Help ensure that your best interests are kept at the forefront of the conversation
- Advise you with regard to settlements
- If necessary, prepare your case for trial
- And more…
The skilled car accident attorneys at Grimes & Fertitta know exactly what to do when our clients get in a car accident and will work hard to help improve the outcomes of your car accident case.
What type of lawyer should you hire after an accident?
If you’re looking to hire a lawyer after you’ve been in a car accident, there are a few things to keep in mind. You can search for a general car accident lawyer, but you have more options depending on the specifics of your accident.
Here are some situations where hiring a specific lawyer can be useful:
- Fatal car accident: If a loved one has died as a result of an accident, a Houston fatal car accident lawyer can help ease the burden of medical or funeral expenses by fighting for the compensation your family deserves.
- 18 wheeler truck accident: The trucking industry is notorious for using its vast resources to get out of accident claims. With a Houston 18 wheeler truck accident lawyer, you’ll have an attorney that can go toe-to-toe with the insurance company to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
- Serious injury: Serious injuries, especially spinal cord injuries, can be life-altering after an accident. A Houston spinal cord injury lawyer will help you navigate the complicated legal system while you focus on what matters the most: healing.
- Product liability: If your accident was caused by a defective vehicle product and you have suffered any injuries, contact a Houston product liability lawyer. This attorney will be able to help you handle your product liability claim carefully and effectively, fighting for the compensation you deserve so that you can focus on recovery.
The experienced attorneys at Grimes & Fertitta have expertise in all of these areas, but we are especially well known for our ability to handle cases regarding accidents involving serious injuries and wrongful death. As former lawyers for insurance companies, our attorneys know the ins and outs of how these companies approach cases and can use that knowledge to build you a stronger claim.
Get a Car Accident Attorney ASAP: Contact Grimes & Fertitta Today.
Now that we’ve discussed when to get an attorney for a car accident, you should have a better understanding of the importance of hiring the right attorney. Not only is it an investment of your time and money, but an attorney plays a huge role in the outcome of your case –– so make sure you’re choosing the right one.
Our client-oriented firm has established a reputation for keeping our clients’ best interests in mind throughout the entire legal process. To us, you’re not just a case number.
Call Grimes & Fertitta today at 713-224-7644 or schedule a consultation online.
More Helpful Articles by Grimes & Fertitta: