What To Do If You’re Hit By A Truck
Getting hit by a semi truck often involves serious injuries that can have long-term consequences in your life. To make matters worse, you will likely be forced to deal with a large trucking company, as well as their legal defense team. Because of this, it can prove to be more difficult to be appropriately compensated for your injuries.
In other words, semi truck accidents are very different from your run-of-the-mill car accidents, and, unfortunately, they are still very common, thanks to occurrences such as jackknife accidents (learn more about what causes a truck to jackknife).
This being said, if you’re hit by a truck, there are a few important facts and details to keep in mind. Let’s cover some of those now.
Next steps: What happens when you are hit by a truck?
In many scenarios, Houston truck accident injuries can be deadly or leave the occupants in the other vehicle unconscious. If this is the case, you’ll need to wait until you are physically able to take the appropriate next steps. However, if you are conscious after a semi truck accident, here are a few quick tips to remember:
- Contact the proper authorities and do not leave the scene of the accident
- If you are able to safely do so, leave your vehicle and make sure you are out of harm’s way (ex. Move to the side of the road if you are in the middle of a busy intersection)
- If there are other people injured in your vehicle or inside the semi truck, check on these individuals and provide assistance if you are able to safely do so.
- Document the scene and gather the contact information of all drivers, passengers, and witnesses.
- Receive medical assistance no matter what (even if you believe you are not injured or that your injuries are not severe)
- Contact the best personal injury lawyer in Houston for you
Related material: Learn more about what to do when you get in an accident.
“I was hit by a semi truck” — Why this situation is so different
As we mentioned earlier, getting hit by a semi truck is considerably different than being hit by a regular vehicle — and for a number of reasons.
- Extent of injuries: First and foremost, the sheer damage that can be inflicted by a semi truck can be overwhelming. This damage — done to both your vehicle and your body — can cost thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. Typically, semi truck accident injuries have the possibility of being life-altering and permanent, especially if they are not treated immediately and appropriately.
- The trucking company’s experience handling accidents: On top of the physical damage that can be caused, there’s a potential for legal damage, as well. If the semi truck you collided with is backed by a large company, you can expect them to have a legal team on standby. This team will be experienced in dealing with accidents, and they will do everything within their power to guarantee the lowest compensation amount is awarded.
- Potential for multiple parties involved: It is important to keep in mind that there are many different parties that can be responsible for the accident. When seeking compensation, this can become a critical component of your legal battle. For example, the truck driver himself could be held responsible for the accident if he is an independent contractor. On the other side of the spectrum, there could be an issue with the cargo the truck is holding or the semi truck itself. It is the obligation of your lawyer to determine who the responsible party is and how to make the claim.
Can I sue for being hit by a semi truck?
Many people who contact us after getting hit by a truck immediately want to know: Can you sue for being hit by a semi truck? The answer to this question is yes. You may be entitled to compensation, but this amount will vary based on the accident, the injuries involved, and your individual life situation.
For the reasons outlined above, it is typically in your best interest to pursue legal action with the help of a trustworthy truck accident lawyer in Houston. The truck accident attorneys at Grimes & Fertitta have decades of experience helping our clients pursue their right to compensation. As previous insurance attorneys, we are uniquely qualified to help our clients navigate complicated negotiations with insurance adjusters and trucking companies.
How to get help if you’ve been hit by a truck in Houston or The Woodlands
If you’ve been hit by a truck, the first thing you need to do is contact a lawyer for a consultation. At Grimes & Fertitta, we offer Texans a free personal injury consultation that can help you determine the best next steps for your unique situation.
We can show you what your options are, what legal fees you might incur in the process, what your chance of success is, and provide you with examples of similar situations. We recognize that what you have been through is incredibly difficult and will work hard to make the legal process as streamlined and straightforward as possible.
As a close-knit firm that treats our clients like family, we will stand by you and make sure that your best interests are always kept at the forefront of all decisions. With us, you will never be treated like “just another case number.”
Let us fight for you. To learn more about your right to compensation, contact our team today at 713-224-7644.
More Helpful Articles by Grimes & Fertitta: