If you or someone close to you was injured in a motorcycle wreck because of someone’s careless or negligent conduct, the Houston motorcycle accident lawyers at Grimes & Fertitta can help you fight for the compensation you deserve.The speed and openness of motorcycles are what make them so appealing and exhilarating; it’s also what makes them so dangerous. In fact, according to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration statistics, “Per vehicle mile traveled, motorcyclists are more than 26 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a traffic crash.” That’s six times the fatality rate per registered vehicle.
Don’t let the insurance company take you for a ride. When you work with a Houston motorcycle accident attorney at Grimes & Fertitta, they will take on your case so that you and your family so that you can focus on healing.
Common causes of motorcycle injuries
No matter how they were caused, the consequences of a motorcycle accident can be devastating for victims and their families. However, the different causes of motorcycle injuries can have different size settlements.
- Driver negligence: The most common motorcycle injuries are those that occur due to driver negligence. These accidents include blind-spot collisions, rear-end collisions, illegal u-turns, distracted drivers, improper lane change, or criminal actions such as speeding and DWI. In accidents involving driver negligence, your settlement may be limited to the driver’s insurance coverage.
- Products liability: Sometimes it’s the vehicle and not the vehicle driver that causes a motorcycle accident. If you and your motorcycle accident lawyer can prove that manufacturer negligence contributed to your injury, you may be able to hold the manufacturer liable for damages.
- Repair shop liability: As a customer, you are owed reliable, honest service by your motorcycle repair shop. If your motorcycle was repaired inadequately, with shoddy parts, or if you were not made aware of a potentially harmful issue discovered by your mechanic, the repair shop could be held liable for your damages.
Common types of motorcycle injuries
Because of the speed and lack of safety features that come with riding a motorcycle, accidents and injuries can be severe or even fatal. These are some of the most common motorcycle injuries riders sustain:
- Brain and head injuries: While the most common motorcycle injuries are to the hands and feet, head injuries are probably the most significant in terms of long term effects. However, if you weren’t wearing a helmet during your accident, the opposing attorneys may use that to argue against your claim.
- Burns (aka road rash): In many motorcycle accidents, a falling rider will slide across the pavement. Any skin exposed to the pavement at such high speeds will sustain painful burns in addition to cuts and scrapes. Proper protective gear including jackets and gloves can help to minimize road rash in such scenarios.
- Spine and neck injuries: When thrown violently to the ground off a fast-moving motorcycle, your neck and spine can be severely injured. These injuries can have life-altering consequences including paralysis, severe pain, and restriction of movement that can severely and/or permanently impact your ability to work.
- Foot and leg injuries: Ever wondered, “What is the most common motorcycle injury?” Of all the different types of motorcycle injuries, foot and leg injuries are the most common. These can range from sprains to broken bones to paralysis.
Motorcycle injury settlements: How much can you get?
Because motorcycle injuries can make victims unable to work and provide for their families, many of our motorcycle accident clients come to us wondering, “What is the average settlement for a motorcycle accident?”
According to a study by Jury Verdict Research, the average motorcycle settlement was approximately $560,000. However, the median settlement was $70,000.
The compensation amount clients receive depends on several factors, including how many parties were to blame for your motorcycle accident. For example, you may be able to reach a higher settlement if your accident was due to manufacturer error than you would be able to reach from the at-fault motorist’s insurance company alone.
Generally speaking, the amount you will receive is also closely related to the severity of your injuries, the expenses of medical care, and how much you will continue to suffer as a result of your accident.
In most cases involving another driver’s negligence, you and your Houston motorcycle accident lawyer will be relying on the negligent driver’s insurance company to fund any final settlement or verdict. In Texas, drivers must carry the following minimum amounts of liability insurance coverage for bodily injury or property damage:
- $30,000 per injured person, $60,000 per accident
- $25,000 per accident for property damage
As you can see, the minimum levels of insurance coverage are much closer to the median motorcycle accident settlement than they are to the average.
Finally, the amount of compensation you receive in either a settlement or trial will depend on the quality of your Houston motorcycle accident lawyer. Experienced lawyers such as those at Grimes & Fertitta know how insurance companies try to avoid paying full compensation. They also know how and when to take your case to trial if a suitable and reasonable offer is not made.
Your motorcycle accident lawyer at Grimes & Fertitta
The motorcycle accident attorneys at Grimes & Fertitta have experience assisting motorcycle accident victims and their families.Our lawyers have worked on motorcycle accident cases and personal injury cases for decades, obtaining millions of dollars in compensation for our clients. We are prepared to work on cases against negligent drivers, motorcycle manufacturers, insurance companies, and more.
Don’t let someone else’s irresponsible driving take more from your life than it already has. Contact a Houston motorcycle accident lawyer at Grimes & Fertitta online or call us at 713-224-7644 to schedule a free consultation today.