Motorcycle Accident Guide: How to File an Injury Claim
The experienced personal injury lawyers at Grimes & Fertitta have put together this motorcycle accident guide that will explain how to file a motorcycle accident injury claim, when to hire an attorney, and what types of damages you can be awarded.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a motorcycle crash, contact a motorcycle accident lawyer in Houston from Grimes & Fertitta immediately to discuss your legal options. We will help you to navigate the legal process so you can focus on healing, emotionally and physically.
The Grimes & Fertitta motorcycle accident guide to causes, injuries, and damages
Common causes of motorcycle accidents
- Driver negligence
- Driving while intoxicated: If you’re involved in a drunk driver accident in Houston, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries.
- On phone while driving
- Unsafely switching lanes
- Distracted/aggressive driving
- Products Liability: If problems with the manufacturing of a vehicle cause or contribute to an accident, you may be able to sue the manufacturer to cover your damages.
- Repair Shop Liability: If your motorcycle was repaired inadequately, with low-quality parts, or your mechanic did not disclose any important safety information to you about your vehicle, the repair shop could be held liable for your damages.
Types of motorcycle accident injuries
“What happens to your body in a motorcycle accident?” A lot, and none of it good. Being involved in an auto accident, no matter who is at fault, can leave you with life-altering motorcycle accident injuries including:
- Brain and head injuries
- Burns (aka road rash)
- Neck and spinal injuries
- Injuries to your limbs (arms, legs, feet, etc.)
As stated in our article explaining what to do when you get in an auto accident, checking for injuries should be your top priority. Seek medical assistance immediately if you have sustained any injuries from the accident.
Types of damages
Here are the types of damages you can be awarded if you file a motorcycle accident injury claim:
- Wrongful death damages: This includes funeral or burial expenses for a loved one who was killed as a result of their injuries. They can be brought by certain surviving members of the family.
- Covering your current and future medical bills and medical care
- Loss of current and future earnings
- Loss of quality of life
- Property damages
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
When it comes to financial compensation, the amount you can receive is also closely related to the severity of your injuries, the expenses of medical care, and how much you will continue to suffer as a result of your accident.
Though no amount of money can reverse a horrible tragedy like a motorcycle accident, we believe that finding justice and obtaining compensation can help aid in the healing process. You and your loved ones should feel cared for in these trying times.
How to file a motorcycle accident injury claim
After tending to your injuries, you will want to file a police report within 10 days of your accident to ensure that no information is forgotten and that everything important is on record. If you’ve wondered when to get an attorney for an accident, the answer is simple: if you were injured, if your property was damaged, and you believe someone else’s negligence caused the accident, contact a personal injury attorney you can trust immediately.
Before your call, be sure to read over these questions to ask your motorcycle accident attorney before signing any agreements with a potential attorney.
Whether you’re still battling with your injuries or grieving the death of a loved one as a result of the accident, filing a claim can feel overwhelming and stressful. Your attorney will help you to file your accident injury claim so that you can focus solely on healing.
Don’t wait to file an injury claim. The Texas statute of limitations for auto accidents is two years. The longer you wait, the longer you’re giving the other party’s insurance company to build a case against you.
How an attorney can help you build your motorcycle accident case
If you are injured in a motorcycle crash, your motorcycle injury attorney will assist with:
- Investigating your claim and collecting evidence
- Navigating the legal process such as filing claims
- Negotiating with insurance companies, insurance adjusters, and any other third parties
- Keeping important deadlines
- Advising you on settlement options
- If necessary, preparing your case for trial
As former insurance defense attorneys, the experienced attorneys at Grimes & Fertitta know every possible angle an insurance company will use in a personal injury case. With this specific legal background, our attorneys have knowledge they can use as leverage to help build you a stronger case to get the compensation that you and your family deserve.
Looking to file a motorcycle accident injury claim? Contact a Grimes & Fertitta attorney ASAP.
Keep this motorcycle accident guide in mind if you or a loved one are ever injured in a motorcycle crash and are looking for legal representation. The personal injury attorneys from Grimes & Fertitta can help with your motorcycle accident injury claim to fight for the compensation you and your family deserve.
Call Grimes & Fertitta today at 713-224-7644 or schedule a free consultation online to discuss the details of your motorcycle accident case.
More Helpful Articles by Grimes & Fertitta: